Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seeing the World covered in cans

When our oldest played volleyball we fundraised her club fees by collecting Christmas trees, hundreds and hundreds of Christmas trees. The Christmas tree had new meaning for me and it wasn't always positive. I couldn't drive down a street without looking up people's driveways and alongside their houses wondering when the Christmas tree would appear. Fortunately this obsession would only last a few short weeks.


When our boy played club soccer I volunteered for the job in the clubhouse doing inventory, the job that got me to the football games before anyone else and kept me there after everyone else had gone home. I was energized by knowing that the longer I was there the more money would go into Simon's account. Never mind that I probably never made enough in a day to make up for the lost time. But Simon was able to play soccer all year round.


When our youngest decided her money raising endeavor for her China airfare would be can collecting my obsessive behavior kicked in again. Everywhere we go I glance around for cans. Today on my run I not only found five cans, but I found a dirty bag to put them in. Thank goodness our trip is almost here!



Lydia has made about $500 toward her airfare thanks to all you who have collected and saved for her. If there is anyone out there that has cans and would share give us a call.

No comments: